Sleep More Weigh Less
Gaining weight & not sure why?
Perhaps you missing those extra zzzz's is affecting your scale. Did you know nearly two thirds of Americans aren't getting enough sleep. Adults need at least 7 hours of sleep per night! Skipping out on those extra hours can certainly cause you to gain weight, and here's why:
- It affects the way our bodies process and store carbohydrates
- It alters levels of hormones that affect our appetite; such as craving sugar for a quick fix then crashing afterwards, producing more of a hormone called Ghrelin which signals your brain that it’s time to eat, causing another hormone Leptin, levels to plummet, signaling your brain to eat more food, and last it causes your Cortisol to spike which signals your body to conserve energy to fuel your waking hours (hanging on to fat instead of burning it for energy)
- It sets your brain up to make bad decisions, such as opting to eat comfort food and/or over-eating
- It increases late night snacking
- It affects your body's ability to process insulin a hormone needed to change sugar, starches, and other food into energy
- The obvious reasons- to tired to workout and/or to tired to cook a healthy meal
So it’s not so much that if you sleep, you’ll lose weight, but that too little sleep hampers your metabolism and contributes to weight gain.
Do you get enough sleep?
What would you like our next blog topic to be about?